Your belt size is different from your pants size. Although adding 2 inches to your pants size is a quick method, learn how to measure it.
Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
Table of contents
How to measure your belt size
To measure your belt size, begin by laying your belt on a flat surface. Then place a measuring tape at the end of the belt, not including the buckle, and pull it across to the third hole.
It’s important to note that belts are measured in inches. Therefore, round your measurement to the nearest inch.
Another way to figure out your belt size is to add two inches to your pant size. For example, if your pants are a size 34, then get a size 36 belt. If you’re wearing jeans, it can help to add three or four inches to your pant size.
The third way to measure your belt size is to measure your waist. Start by wearing a pair of trousers or any other pants that have belt loops. Then, pull a tape measure through the belt loops.
When you’re measuring your belt size by using this method, stand relaxed. Don’t suck in your stomach or push it out.
Be as natural as possible. Once you have your measurement, round to the nearest inch.
Converting pants size to belt size
Often, adding 2 inches to your pants size will result in a belt with the perfect length. The following is an example of common pants sizes and the belt size that works best:
- 30 pants size results in a 32-inch belt.
- 32 pants size results in a 34-inch belt.
- 34 pants size results in a 36-inch belt.
- 36 pants size results in a 38-inch belt.
- 38 pants size results in a 40-inch belt.
- 40 pants size results in a 42-inch belt.
There are three main terms to understand when it comes to belts, size, length, and width.
The size of the belt refers to the measurement from the end to the third hole, not including the buckle.
The length is the measurement from the end of the buckle to the end of the belt. The width is the measurement from the top of the belt to the bottom.
Different types of belts
The following are different types of men’s belts:
- Frame-style: The strap goes through a frame, and it’s one of the most common types of belts. It’s on almost every formal belt and most casual belts.
- Plate-style: Typically has decorated detachable plates.
- Ring: O-ring and D-ring belts are known as casual belts. They have one or two rings to form a buckle.
- Box-frame: It has a hollow and metal box, which pressed the strap against the inside of the box to hold it in place.
It’s important to note that leather and braided belts will stretch over time. If you’re planning to get a leather or braided belt, keep in mind that a snug fit will eventually become more comfortable.
Understanding how to measure your belt size will make it easier for you to buy a belt online. A well-fitting belt is comfortable and will look great. If you’re looking for a quick method, add 2 inches to your pants size.
Featured photo courtesy of Pixabay.