Everyday carry is also known as EDC. The items depend on what you use daily and what you need to be prepared for unexpected events.
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
We receive a commission on purchases made through links on this page. For more information, read Affiliate Disclosure.
What’s everyday carry?
Everyday carry, also known as EDC, defines the items that you consistently use in daily life.
Related: Best accessories for men
These items can range from wallets to knives and mean different things to different people.
Since it’s personalized to you, the first step is to figure out what items you use every day and are good to have in the event of a specific need.
The following are benefits of having everyday carry essentials:
- Organization: Clutter can cause you to feel overwhelmed. When you have items that you carry all the time, you’ll be more organized and feel in control by knowing exactly what you have with you.
- Personalize: Your essentials are yours. Therefore, the items you carry are personalized to you and it can be a form of self-expression.
- Preparation: By having tools that can help you during unexpected events, you can overcome the obstacles without help.
- Save money: Investing in durable gear will ensure your items last longer. This helps you save money because it’ll be easier to think twice before making an impulsive purchase.
One of the best parts of everyday carry is that you’ll lighten your load by minimizing what you carry.
Creating a system around what you actually need will enhance different areas of your life.
Related: 10 best driving gloves for men
Common EDC items
You won’t find one item that’ll have everything you need. That’s why it’s important to figure out what you commonly use and create a system of items that work together.
In general, the following items are the most common essential items:
- Phone: Modern phones allow you to do many different things. You can search the web, text someone, jot down notes, or take photos. With the many things that your phone can do, carrying a camera and notebook is optional.
- Multitool: Many tools in one. The multitool offers a convenient and efficient way to carry plenty of tools in a small and thin tool.
- Wallet: Whether a regular bifold or money clips, wallets hold your cards, identification, and cash. To reduce the number of separate items, you can get a wallet case for your phone.
- Keychain: Houses, cars, and work require keys. Although they can make a lot of noise and take up space, keys are needed. To get around this, use a key organizer that’ll keep the keys in place and organized.
- Knife: A knife can protect you and come in handy for opening things. That said, only carry a knife if you need it due to safety and laws.
- Accessories: From flashlights to watches, personalize your everyday carry items through accessories. What you use is a matter of finding the right items for your needs.
Related: Best watches under $500
After you’ve figured out the basics that you need, explore other items that can enhance or simplify your life.
Remember, what you need at one point in life may not be required later on.
Therefore, it’s important to be able and willing to change items if you no longer use them regularly.
Tactical everyday carry essentials revolve around items that are functional and necessary. The items can also serve other purposes.
The purpose of a tactical EDC item can include utility and self-defense. Items such as tactical pens, knives, wallets, guns, key organizers, and flashlights are common.
The following items are examples of tactical everyday carry:
KEPEAK Military Tactical Pen
Features: Writing, self-defense, and emergency glass breaker.
Buy the KEPEAK Military Tactical Pen from Amazon (opens in a new tab).
Armour RFID Wallet
Features: Wallet (12 cards), money clip, multitool, and keyholder.
Tac-Force Tactical Spring Assisted Knife
Features: Knife, bottle opener, glass breaker, and pocket clip.
Buy the TAC Force Tactical Spring Assisted Knife from Amazon (opens in a new tab).
The essential items you carry will depend on your lifestyle and what you have planned for the day. The purpose of EDC is to have functional items that you use consistently.
For some, tactical EDC may be the best fit, while others may rely on notebooks and laptops.
Featured photo by David Em/Next Level Gents.