Whether or not you wear an undershirt depends on different factors such as weather and the type of shirt. Here’s your complete guide to undershirts.
This post contains links to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For our affiliate disclosure, visit this page.
|In This Post|
|The Purpose of an Undershirt|
|Men’s Undershirt Styles|
|Commonly Asked Questions|
The Purpose of an Undershirt
Initially, the undershirt was designed to protect your clothes from touching your body. Although that’s still a reason to wear an undershirt, here are the 4 main purposes:
- Protect dress shirts from stains.
- Provide insulation.
- Compression to appear slimmer.
- Hide chest hair and nipples.
Undershirts are made to protect your dress shirts from getting sweat or deodorant stains which will help your them last longer and stay in good condition. Without one, your dress shirts will inevitably get stained.
The extra layer also provides insulation which is perfect for the colder weather and you the compression is a way to appear slimmer. Another way an undershirt can help is if you have chest hair because it can keep your chest hair from popping out of your shirt.
Men’s Undershirt Styles
There are different types of undershirts and the one you choose depends on what you’re wearing. If you’re looking to purchase one undershirt, the most versatile style is the deep-cut v-neck with flat seams. Here’s a breakdown of the different styles:
1. V-Neck. The v-neck undershirt is a versatile style because you can unbutton your dress shirt without it showing. If you want to unbutton another button, wear a deep-cut v-neck.
2. Crewneck. Crewneck undershirts are different than t-shirts. In fact, this is where the t-shirt originated. This style works best when you’re wearing a button-up shirt with a tie because it’ll be buttoned to the top and remain covered.
3. Tank Top. Tank tops aren’t great undershirts because they don’t have sleeves which defeats the purpose. Another reason tank tops should be avoided is that the seams and lines show through the shirt which means they won’t be hidden as they should be. Save this one for the gym.
4. Compression. If you want to flatten your midsection, you should wear undershirts. The compression style will make your body feel more firm.
Note: Your undershirt should be long enough to be tucked in and have flat seams so that they remain hidden under your shirt.
When you’re looking to purchase an undershirt, look for ones that are made of thin material and have the ability to stretch. This type of shirt is close-fitting and should remain hidden when it’s being worn.
Natural fibers such as cotton, bamboo rayon, and linen are great options because they absorb moisture. The ability to absorb moisture is important because it’ll ensure that your sweat doesn’t sit on your skin throughout the day whereas shirts that are water-repellant will cause sweat to sit on your skin.
1. Cotton. High-quality cotton can be lightweight or heavyweight. If you want something warmer, go for heavyweight shirts. If you want something cooler, lightweight shirts are a great pick. Cotton absorbs moisture and allows airflow which can help dry any dampness.
An important feature to point out is the length of the fiber. There are many cotton undershirts and not all of them are equally good. Shirts made of long-fiber cotton are the best choice because they feel softer, last longer, and are more breathable.
Pima and Egyptian cotton are known for their superior quality and this is due to the length of their fiber.
2. Linen. Due to it’s lightweight and breathable nature, linen is a great choice for warm temperatures because it’ll keep you cool. Similar to cotton, linen absorbs moisture which will ensure your sweat doesn’t get trapped between the shirt and your body.
3. Bamboo Rayon. This material is high-quality, soft, and durable. Rayon that’s made from bamboo is absorbent and has great breathability whereas synthetic rayon repels water, causing it to sit on your skin.
Investing in high-quality undershirts is important because you’ll save money and be comfortable when wearing it. Low-quality undershirts will get damaged and worn out quickly which means you’ll continue buying new shirts often.
The color of your undershirt depends on the color of your skin. It doesn’t have to match perfectly, but it should be as close as possible. If your undershirt color doesn’t match your skin tone and has a lot of contrast, it’ll be visible underneath your shirt.
Best Colors for Darker Skin Tones:
- Dark Grey
Best Colors for Lighter Skin Tones:
- Light Grey
Note: If you’re wearing a lightweight shirt, you may want to skip the undershirt because lightweight shirts can make the undershirt visible.
Commonly Asked Questions
Here are answers to common questions you might have about undershirts:
How Should an Undershirt Feel?
Your undershirt should feel soft and comfortable on your skin. Softness is a sign that it’s made from long-fiber cotton which means you can trust its durability. You also want to make sure it’s not restrictive because that’ll tell you whether or not it’s too tight.
Can I Use a T-Shirt as an Undershirt?
No. T-shirts and undershirts are two different pieces of clothing, with two different purposes. T-shirts are thicker and looser than an undershirt.
Undershirts hold close to your body and are thinner than t-shirts. So you shouldn’t wear an undershirt by itself and you shouldn’t wear a t-shirt as an undershirt.
Why Are Tank Tops Called Wife Beaters?
Tank top style shirts are known as “wife-beaters” because they were worn in a lot of American movies from the 1930s to 1940s in which husbands wore them while abusing their wives physically and/or emotionally.
Should You Wear an Undershirt Under a Polo?
No, because this will make you look bulkier and it looks unnatural. Polo shirts are close-fitting, which will make the undershirt or its lines appear.
Why is My Undershirt Pilling?
Pilling occurs when the fiber breaks or loosens. Although most shirts will pill eventually, a high-quality shirt won’t pill quickly. If you wear undershirts often, you’ll notice the small, fluffy balls. If you want to get rid of them, using a razor or fabric shaver is a great way to do so.
If you’re looking for the best undershirts that will absorb sweat and protect your clothes, we’ve got you covered. Here are the best undershirts for men:
Best Crewneck Undershirt
This Calvin Klein undershirt is 100% cotton and its softness makes it perfect for everyday wear. It’s long enough to remain tucked in throughout the day which is how an undershirt should be worn. Plus, it comes in a pack of 5.
Calvin Klein, $35.70
Best V-Neck Undershirt
This v-neck undershirt by Bombas is made with 100% Pima cotton which is a great natural fiber. The v-neck style is the most versatile style and the best choice if you wear an undershirt often. The great thing about Bombas is that every purchase equals a donation.
Best Compression Undershirt
Yes, Spanx makes clothes for men. Compression undershirts can help flatten your midsection and keep everything looking firm.
There are many reasons to wear an undershirt, it could be to preventing stains or provide insulation. Although they won’t be seen, they’re an important part of your outfit. If you’re looking for versatility, deep-cut v-necks with flat seams are the best option because you can wear them underneath any shirt.
Pin for Later
Additional Style Q&A
Want to learn more about style, or get answers to common style questions? Here are a few more resources:
Featured photo by David Em/Next Level Gents
Editorial Note: This post was originally published on February 21, 2019. Since then, it’s been freshened up with new pictures and commentary.