A shaved head gives you a timeless and professional look that’s easy to maintain. Learn how to shave your head without nicks.
We receive a commission when you buy through affiliate links on this page.
Should you shave your head?
If you’re considering shaving you’re head but have hesitation, that’s normal. It’s an important decision and you want to make sure you look good with a bald head.
To help you make a decision, the following are benefits of shaving your head:
- Hide bald spots: If you’re experiencing bald patches, receding hairline, and thinning hair, shaving your head is a way to deal with it.
- More comfortable: Hair gets in the way when you’re being active and sweating. Being bald will keep you cool and the hair out of your face.
- Save time and money: A shaved head means that you don’t need to buy all of the hair products, get haircuts as often, and you no longer spend time styling it.
Before you shave your head, figure out how your head is shaped. A clean-shaven head looks best if your head is round.
If you have bumps, flatness, or divots, it may be best to do a buzz cut or another hairstyle that’ll balance everything out.
Related: Best hairstyles for men
Talk to your barber or hairstylist to get a professional opinion of whether or not it’s a good fit for you.
Use the proper tools
To get the best shave possible, you need to use the right tools. If you have longer hair, you’ll need a hair trimmer or clipper to trim your hair.
Once your hair is trimmed down, you’ll also need the following items:
- A cartridge or safety razor.
- Shaving soap or cream.
- A towel to dry your head.
- Moisturizer or balm.
Before you begin shaving your head, make sure your razor is clean and sharp.
A dull razor won’t be effective and can irritate your skin. Therefore, use a brand new razor or clean the blades.
How to shave your head
Take the following steps to shave your head completely bald:
- Trim your hair as short as possible.
- Rinse your head with warm water.
- Apply shaving cream or soap.
- Shave with long, gentle strokes starting in the middle of your head.
- Rinse the blades to wash out the hairs
- Check for any missed spots and re-apply shaving cream or soap to any areas you’ve missed.
- Rinse your head with warm water.
- Pat your head with a towel.
- Apply moisturizer, balm, or aftershave lotion.
Note: Take your time and save the back of your head for last since the hair is thicker and harder to see.
The benefit of having a clean-shaven head is that it’s easy to maintain.
Depending on how quickly your hair grows, shave your head every week after your shower. If you want to keep it smooth, do it every day.
After you shave, be sure to remove moisturizer and if you’re going outside, wear sunscreen.
Protect your head from the sun
Without any hair on your head, you need sunscreen to protect it. Using a moisturizer that includes sunscreen is a bonus.
To get the most protection, look for one that has an SPF of at least 15 (Source: FDA).
Frequently asked questions
Can I wax my head?
Waxing your head is possible but painful. It’s easier to shave your head with a razor but if you want to wax it, you certainly can.
Does hair grow back differently after shaving your head?
According to Columbia University, shaving doesn’t make your hair grow back slower or faster. It also doesn’t make it grow back thicker or darker. To slow down or stop hair growth, a common cosmetic procedure is laser hair removal.
Should I use shampoo if I’m bald?
Yes, use shampoo because it’ll keep your scalp clean, and find one that’s customized to your skin type.
Shaving your head is the only haircut that looks great when you do it yourself. If you decide to go clean-shaven, make sure you use the right tools and focus on the details to get a smooth shave.
Featured photo by Unsplash.
About David Em
David Em is the founder of Next Level Gents, the ultimate destination for tips and advice about style, grooming, fitness, and success.