Inner and external hardships are a part of life. If you’re facing a challenge, read uplifting quotes to gain strength.
Whether it’s a setback, failure, or tragedy, you’ll experience difficult situations in life.
Also, some events may happen that you didn’t expect.
Hope is what you need to move forward. It’ll help you focus on the good things and see it as an opportunity to learn and grow.
The following are the best quotes to motivate and uplift you through hard times.
The most inspiring quotes for difficult times
1. “Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.” -Dale Carnegie
2. “Challenges are gifts that force us to search for a new center of gravity. Don’t fight them. Just find a new way to stand.” -Oprah Winfrey
3. “Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” -Confucius
4. “The human capacity for burden is like bamboo, far more flexible than you’d ever believe at first glance.” -Jodi Picoult
5. “When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” -Henry Ford
6. “You cannot change the circumstances, the seasons, or the wind, but you can change yourself. That is something you have charge of.” –Jim Rohn
7. “Enthusiasm is common. Endurance is rare.” -Angela Duckworth
8. “When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on.” -Franklin D. Roosevelt
9. “Accept responsibility for your life. Know that it is you who will get you where you want to go, no one else.” -Les Brown
10. “Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less.” -Marie Curie
11. “Why worry? If you’ve done the very best you can, worrying won’t make it any better.” -Walt Disney
12. “I think that little by little I’ll be able to solve my problems and survive.” -Frida Kahlo
13. “One word of encouragement can be enough to spark someone’s motivation to continue with a difficult challenge.” -Roy T. Bennett
14. “Hard times may have held you down, but they will not last forever. When all is said and done, you will be increased.” -Joel Osteen
15. “Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” -Og Mandino
Related: How to find your purpose
16. “Sometimes adversity is what you need to face in order to become successful.” -Zig Ziglar
17. “Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.” –Albert Einstein
18. “Every adversity, every failure, and every heartache carries with it the seed of an equivalent or greater benefit.” -Napoleon Hill
19. “Hard times build determination and inner strength. Through them, we can also come to appreciate the uselessness of anger.” -Dalai Lama
20. “Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one.” -Bruce Lee
21. “If you’re going through hell, keep going.” -Winston Churchill
22. “You have power over your mind – not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.” -Marcus Aurelius
23. “With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
24. “Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.” -Arnold Schwarzenegger
25. “A problem is a chance for you to do your best.” -Duke Ellington
26. “If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.” -Martin Luther King, Jr.
27. “You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it.” –Maya Angelou
28. “Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” -Thomas Edison
29. “To be tested is good. The challenged life may be the best therapist.” -Gail Sheehy
30. “A best friend is the only one that walks into your life when the world has walked out.” -Shannon Alder
Related: 10 signs of a strong friendship
31. “Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.” -J.K. Rowling
32. “Challenges are what make life interesting and overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.” -Joshua J. Marine
33. “Always remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, smarter than you think and twice as beautiful as you’ve ever imagined.” -Dr. Seuss
34. “The greatest glory in living lies not in never failing, but in rising every time we fail.” -Nelson Mandela
35. “Obstacles don’t have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.” –Michael Jordan
36. “The best way to get rid of the pain is to fell the pain. And when you feel the pain and go beyond it, you’ll see there’s a very intense love that is wanting to awaken itself.” -Deepak Chopra
37. “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” -Martin Luther King, Jr.
38. “Going through challenging things can teach you a lot, and they also make you appreciate the times that aren’t so challenging.” -Carrie Fisher
39. “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” -Helen Keller
40. “You alone are responsible for what you do, don’t do, or how you respond to what’s done to you.” –Darren Hardy
41. “You may not always have a comfortable life and you will not always be able to solve all of the world’s problems at once but don’t ever underestimate the importance you can have because history has shown us that courage can be contagious and hope can take on a life of its own.” -Michelle Obama
42. “As we advance in life it becomes more and more difficult, but in fighting the difficulties the inmost strength of the heart is developed.” -Vincent Van Gogh
43. “Failures, repeated failures, are finger posts on the road to achievement. One fails forward toward success.” -C.S. Lewis
44. “I hated every minute of training, but I said, ‘Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.” -Muhammad Ali
45. “It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light.” -Aristotle
46. “I’ve been absolutely terrified every moment of my life – and I’ve never let it keep me from doing a single thing I wanted to do.” -Georgia O’Keeffe
47. “Out of difficulties grow miracles.” -Jean de La Bruyère
48. “Your decision to be, have and do something out of ordinary entails facing difficulties that are out of the ordinary as well. Sometimes your greatest asset is simply your ability to stay with it longer than anyone else.” -Brian Tracy
49. “Difficulties are meant to rouse, not discourage. The human spirit is to grow strong by conflict.” -William Ellery Channing
50. “You can’t control how you feel. But you can always choose how you act.” -Mel Robbins
51. “And one has to understand that braveness is not the absence of fear but rather the strength to keep on going forward despite the fear.” -Paulo Coelho
52. “For what it’s worth: it’s never too late or, in my case, too early to be whoever you want to be. There’s no time limit, stop whenever you want. You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. And I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the courage to start all over again.” -Eric Roth
53. “It’s your reaction to adversity, not adversity itself that determines how your life’s story will develop.” -Dieter F. Uchtdorf
54. “I can be changed by what happens to me. But I refuse to be reduced by it.” -Maya Angelou
Hard times are a part of life. While it may seem easier if they weren’t, it’s not the reality.
If you’re going through a challenge, the quotes should help you find inner strength.
Do your best to reframe negative thoughts and live in the present. Keep looking towards a positive and better future.
Featured photo courtesy of Unsplash.
About David Em
David Em is the founder of Next Level Gents, the ultimate destination for tips and advice about style, grooming, fitness, and success.